Exploring the Community of Brofoyedur

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to explore some of the community with the nurses. A couple of the nurses from the clinic went out into the community stopping at every house to check and see if the children were up to date on immunizations and vitamin supplementation. It's amazing to me that every child has their "weigh-in" card, and for the most part they keep up with it. By going out into the community, the nurses told me they get higher percentages of immunization overall. The kids are not used to seeing white people, so I got many stares and many of the children would come up and start a conversation with me. As most of you know, one of my favorite populations to work with is kids, so I loved seeing this and getting to interact with the children. Many of them would call me "Obruni" which means foreigner but is the common term they use for white person. I really enjoyed going into the community and seeing the families in their homes. Their homes are generally buildings where 10-15 families will live. I took a couple of pictures so that you can all see what a difference the living situation is here. I cannot say that I've seen and experienced Ghana if I do not interact with the locals. Working in the hospital, you see the sick men, women, and children, but if I do not see and know where they come from, I miss out on learning a part of their culture and how/why they are sick. Tomorrow, I will do outreach again making sure that we cover all the houses in the Brofoyedur community.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Reflection on Ghana

Elmina and Cape Coast Castle

Orientation and Day #1